Why should I join the Parent Coalition?
If you are looking for ways to increase your knowledge of resources and services that could benefit children and families or if you would like to network with other parents and parent groups in Oakland County, you should join us!
We fill our meetings with topics chosen by parents, issues to think about, child and parent-friendly door prizes, free child care and free diner provided to children and parents.
- Southwest Oakland County (Walled Lake)
- 1/10, 2/14, 3/14, 4/11, 5/9, 8/9/ 9/12/2017
- Central Oakland County (Pontiac)
- 11/20, 1/15, 2/19, 3/19, 4/16, 5/21, 8/20, 9/17/17
- Southeast Oakland (Hazel Park)
- 11/17, 1/26/ 2/23,3/30, 4/27, 5/25, 8/24, 9/26/17
View how much fun we had at our 2016 Picnic!
(Video by Rashmi Mysoremutt.)
Great Start Parent Coalition meetings include:
- Parent networking and relationship building
- Giving parents knowledge to add to their parenting toolbox - learn new skills and strategies
- Building social connections - meet parents and community members
- Learning about resources available to Oakland County parents and children
- Building parent leadership skills
Great Start Collaborative - Oakland hears from happy parents all the time!
"The Parent Coalition means "S.O.S. to us. This stands for support, opportunity and strength. Parenting is the only position that provides no pre-training that simulates what really happens on a daily basis. This group provides me with information I need as my children grow and it teaches me how I can be an active participant in preparing my child for the world not just a spectator," Ayana Knox-Potts
"The Parent Coalition is a support system. We help one another as we navigate through parenthood. It's a place where we realize we are not alone. We are all going through the same thing. I love that we embrace each other's differences, and give each other strength. Through the Parent coalition we are provided with education, information, support, and resources which empower us as parents," Kelly Kenney
"After attending a few Parent Coalition meetings I felt that I was no longer alone. The parents that attend the meetings welcome you, and are non-judgmental. We share what works for each other and only learn and grow together. Not only have I learned from others but also have become a better parent," Kaleena Hartfield
For more information on the Great Start Collaborative-Oakland or to join the Parent Coalition, contact Ayana Knox-Potts, Parent Liaison, at email@example.com.